1961 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL (W121), car number 268
Matching numbers car with extensive documented history and service records since new/day one. This is a one-family owned car before coming to Denmark in 2006. This is a California and Nevada car (dry climate – no rust) ordered be the original owner in July 1961. After the original owner passed away in 1992 the widow kept the car until she passed away in 1995. The son that had the car in a garage until 2005 before selling it to the Danish owner. This is a category 2+ car in very original condition due to the one family ownership.
This unique and rare one-family owned history has preserved the exceptional originality of the car, including the very rare Becher radio with tube amplifier. Weber carburetors, a popular and period correct upgrade that made the car perform, more reliable, drive better and overall improved drivability and enjoyment, was installed but the original restored Solex carburetors are included in the sale.
The car has a Danish title and registration.
Type: W121, B2
Odometer: 25647 Miles
Transmission: 4-speed Manual
Engin Number.: 121921-10-022158
Motor: 1897 cc, 104 h9 (77kW) at 5700 rpm.
Car number: 268
Double Weber TYPO 40 DCOE 151
Spare parts that are not installed but comes with the car:
- New soft-top – The old one is too good to be replaced yet.
- Tools set, few tools missing
- Extra 5 new Polyester painted rims (Mercedes white) + original set.
- 4 pcs. Chrome edging,
- 5 new tires from SLS-hh.de, 4 cm white ring
- Original radial tires and rims.
- 2 pcs. SOLEX PHH44 full-restored and adjusted - as well many new parts extra. (Value 100.000 Dkk)
- New carpet from KMH: Front floor, front tunnel and full trunk
- Extra spare parts Becker Europe MU
- New exhaust
- Blue hardtop
Link to photos documenting the history of the car from 1961 to 2018:
History of the Mercedes-Benz 190 SL (W121)
The Mercedes-Benz 190 SL (W121) is a two-door super luxury roadster produced by Mercedes-Benz between May 1955 and February 1963. Internally referred to as W121 (BII or B2), it was first shown in prototype at the 1954 New York Auto Show, and was available with an optional removable hardtop.
The 190 SL was powered by a new, slightly over-square 105 PS (77 kW; 104 hp) Type M121 BII 1.9 L straight-four SOHC engine. Based on the 300 SL's straight six, it had an unchanged 85 mm bore and 4.3 mm reduced 83.6 mm stroke, was fitted with twin-choke dual Solex carburetors, and produced 120 gross hp.
The car was available either as a soft-top convertible or with removable hardtop. A small third-passenger transverse seat was optional. During its first years the 190 SL was available as a sports-racing model with small perspex windscreen and spartan one-piece leather covered bucket seats and aluminum doors. In 1959, the hardtop's rear window was enlarged.